Hawthorn Parish Council
Parish Clerk: Lesley Swinbank MBA, Fellow ILCM
Hawthorn is an attractive rural village set in the Durham landscape between Seaham and Easington with the North Sea forming its eastern boundary.
The parish boundaries are about 1.5 miles apart north to south and approximately 4 miles apart East to West. There are 200 houses and the population is c. 400.
The Durham coastal footpath traverses the Eastern boundary of the village, whilst the old village centre is a designated Conservation Area. In addition there is an attractive coastal dene between the village and the sea and which contains many walks.
The village contains a beautiful small church built in 1862 and a very popular pub the Stapylton Arms It also has a thriving community centre with a varied programme of events for the residents.